There’s nothing quite like the feeling of a new carpet. Especially one that you’ve been saving up for a while. However, stains and odors tend to accumulate, which is difficult to deal with. In this article, we give tips for carpet cleaning stains and odors for beginners.
How to Get Rid of Carpet Stains and Foul Odors:
- Common Stains: Once you notice a blemish of any kind, you should immediately act on it so the stain doesn’t stay on the carpet for longer than it needs to.
- Remove physical debris with a fork or a spoon, careful not to apply any pressure.
- Gently dab the stain with a damp rag or paper towels; this process may take up to 7 minutes.
- Treat the stained area with a stain-removal solution. You can make this yourself or buy pre-made ones available in your area.
- Dab the area with cold water to rinse and dry by dabbing with another cloth.
- Repeat these steps as many times necessary for harder and older stains.
- Red Wine Stains: This type of stain only seems to occur in movies, but believe me, they can happen to you too. The important part of red wine stains is that you get as much of the wine off the floor as soon as possible.
- Blot the wine with a damp rag or paper towel immediately. Any wine that is on the rag should be rinsed off with cold water.
- Apply stain remover, you should be able to find this in any local hardware store; and pet stain remover works the same.
- Test your carpet for colorfastness; this means if your carpet tends to decolorize with stain remover. You can do this by applying stain remover in a spot on your carpet that is hidden. If the color doesn’t change, then you’re good to proceed to the next step.
- Apply the stain remover as needed. Let the spot soak for about 5 minutes, and then rinse it with cold water.
- Dab the spot to dry. You may need to repeat this step for older stains.
- Removing Basic Odors: Soak the area in baking soda and vinegar. After soaking for 5 minutes, remove the solution by dabbing the spot with cold water.
- Deep odors: These odors are caused by liquids that soaked through the material. Soak the affected area with isopropyl alcohol and then apply a cleaning solution. Once you’ve let the area soak, rinse it with cold water and a towel. The towel should be able to soak up as much of the solution as possible.
Important Key Takeaways:
Carpets are a good way to spruce up your home without spending too much. However, you should be able to anticipate stains and odors, most especially if you have pets inside your house. It may not be easy to do the cleaning yourself, which is why we have provided tips for carpet cleaning stains and odors for beginners and teenagers.